Sunday, December 04, 2011

Show How Beautiful Islam Is :)

Assalamualaikum :)

Since noon today, I have been intensely going all around YouTube searching for Islam-related videos. Lately, discussion regarding the Islamic Sirah has been viral among the Malaysian-Muslim students of UCC. Based on my understanding, an "Usrah" is simply a gathering in which the Muslims would gather and discuss about Islam and increase our understanding about it. 

Being in a land far away from Malaysia actually makes me genuinely want to know more about Islam. I can't deny that I have been exposed to Islam ever since I was born, but being here provides a clear cut evidence that Islam is truly a way of life. 

There was this one time when my friends and I took a taxi on our way to our apartment, and we happened to get a really friendly taxi driver. Just a few minutes along the journey back home, he asked us if we're Malaysians, and of course we answered yes. He seemed so delighted upon knowing that (I assume that he knew that we're Muslims too considering the fact that we were in Hijab). He started to praise the Malaysian students. He said that the Malaysian students, even the boys, are quiet and polite (Fyi, there's roughly 80%-90% of us Malaysian students here that are Muslims if I'm not mistaken). He was really happy, and personally, I was even happier :) It's a privilege having someone from another background and religion saying all those.

How can it be?

I'd take a really common Islam preach, which is the forbid of alcohol-drinking. Just by obeying Allah's rule of not drinking alcohol, many positive things can be achieved. Firstly and obviously, we're being a good servant of Allah. Secondly, we'll feel much more healthier, whether mind or soul. Thirdly and indirectly, we're gaining peoples' respect of ourselves and also our religion. 

How do we earn people's respect of ourselves and our religion by simply not drinking alcohol?

I know that drinking alcohol is not a good thing. It's indirectly stated as Haraam in the Holy Quran:

The Noble Qur'an - al-Baqarah 2:219

They ask you (O Muhammad  ) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they ought to spend. Say: "That which is beyond your needs." Thus Allâh makes clear to you His Laws in order that you may give thought.


One unit leads to another, and eventually, you'll probably consume an overdose of alcohol. An overdose leads to an unbalanced state of mind. You won't be able to think or do anything properly. Then you'd begin to do unnecessary (and also probably humiliating things). In the place where I am, I personally see quite a number of broken bottles of alcohols on the sidewalks and isn't that just dangerous? And there was this one time when I was out at night with my friends for a breezy night walk when there were a couple of teens drinking. I was freaked out by the sight of their condition. Loud and lost in a different world. It was quite funny too, but if you were to think about it, wouldn't it be rather disturbing for the people in the neighborhood?

As Muslims, my friends and I don't do alcohol. Not drinking alcohol prevents us from being in the situations that I just mentioned. The unavailability of the seeing the Malaysian-Muslim guys acting unnecessarily was what the taxi driver meant by his praises.

And that's just only how not-taking up alcohol brings a difference.



Straight from the heart :)