Friday, December 09, 2011

Al-Asr, Hard Work and Aim of Living

Assalamualaikum :)

After getting back from a meeting with my Ohana (a.k.a. senior junior bonding & knowledge sharing gathering) & performing my solah, I suddenly thought of finding a quote that has something to do with hard work. I know, it's random, but I just feel it would kinda help me feel extra motivated for the evening (I am indeed actually a big fan of quotes, yet I don't really afford to quote them back :P).

So I went searching for some hard work related quotes. I then thought, why not search for a quote which is much more Islamic? After all, we should live by the Al-Quran & the Hadeeth. I came about a website which contained a thread discussing about the concept of hard work in Islam. Being the lazy-to-read-long-articles person that I am, I just scrolled down till I decided to stop at one part of the page. And there I see the translation of a famous surah in the Al-Quran, which is Al-Asr. I'm pretty sure we know it, kita selalu baca lepas kelas, siap berlagu-lagu lagi :)

Here it is:

In the name of Allah, most Gracious, most Compassionate / 
Dengan Nama Allah yang Maha Pemurah Lagi Maha Penyayang


1.By Al-Asr (the time). / Demi masa.


2.Verily! Man is in loss, / Sesungguhnya manusia itu benar-benar dalam kerugian,


3. Except those who believe (in Islamic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, and recommend one another to the truth (i.e order one another to perform all kinds of good deeds which Allaah has ordained, and abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which Allaah has forbidden), and recommend one another to be patience (for the sufferings, harms and injuries which one may encounter in Allaah's Cause during preaching His Religion of Islamic Monotheism or Jihad, etc)" / kecuali orang-orang yang beriman dan mengerjakan amal saleh dan nasihat menasihati supaya mentaati kebenaran dan nasihat menasihati supaya menetapi kesabaran.


As a human being, I can't deny the fact that it's tough to escape from being too focused on being successful in the Dunya. Sometimes I'd take my own sweet time in front of the laptop though I should already be taking my ablution (wudhu) and pray. Sometimes I don't really think of what I could do to help other people and I'd just focus on what I could do for myself. Sometimes, I just feel that I'm missing something though I feel that I have done everything.

What do you think about a person works so hard day and night in order to earn a degree but just never stops for 5 minutes to perform his solah? It's a great loss, isn't it? Life isn't all about being a doctor, or an engineer, or just a/an (insert ambition) on planet Earth. It's more than that. Hard work shouldn't only be meant for the Dunya, but it's also for the hereafter (akhirat). There will be life after this ''life'' that we are living in. And that's for eternity. We live on Earth, and die. But in the hereafter, MashaAllah, don't you think it would be awesome to be in paradise forever and ever?

I am nowhere near brilliant in my actions, but I just hope that I have the strength to be better. I am scared whenever my Iman chips off a little. I just hope that it will always be there forever and rise little by little. Someone once said, when you are at your weakest point of Iman, you should at least be able to perform the Solah Fardhu. Now, let's think about it, how is our Iman right now? If it's way below there, let's pick it up and work ahead. InsyaAllah.

Btw, if you have time, do watch this video below. The title may not seem like it has any link to what I just talked about, but do listen to the contents, there's somehow a connection :)


Sources: