Thursday, July 21, 2011

Behind The Scenes (Part One): The Results

Part One: The Results

The anxiety of waiting for the results for the University placement was killing me, so I desperately asked any of my friends who possibly knows anybody who can help inform me my results. The day was dated more or less two months back and it was probably one of the most nerve-wrecking days I had ever encountered in my whole entire life. I finally got a number and I was told that I can call her up after 6.30 p.m. When I heard somebody at the other end of the line (finally), my heart skipped a few beats.

Me          : Hello, ni Puan X ke?
Puan X    : Hello, ya saya.
Me          : Saya Amierah Nabillah, bekas pelajar pre-medic AUCMS. Saya ingin bertanya tentang keputusan
                 placement untuk ke Ireland.
Puan X    : Sebentar ya.
Me          : Ok.
*****

Puan X     : Maaf ya dik, adik tidak berjaya.
Me           : Saya tak berjaya? 2nd interview pun tak ada?
Puan X     : Tak. Adik tidak terpilih.

I carried on asking about my friend's result. I was in disbelief. My mind was partially numb. I called up my mother and told her my results. I couldn't forget how petrified her voice was. I asked her to come over to my workplace and help calm me down through my shock. In five minutes, she was already there. I left the 1901 stall and went to the Surau.

As I sat down on the floor of the Surau with my mother, I burst into tears. I can remember myself repeating, "Amierah tak dapat g Ireland, ma." I felt so weak. My mother patted me at the back and sat there silent. Suddenly she said to me, "Amierah, buat rayuan. Malam ni, tulis e-mail pada Dato'". Out of my instability, I replied with an OK. All of a sudden, my phone rang. A customer was at the stall, waiting for me to come and help him get through with his order. My cries lasted for less than 10 minutes. I had to. How could I cry while making hotdogs? That's way unprofessional. 

My mum waited for me till I closed the stall at 10 p.m. I thank Allah for giving me such an understanding and loving mother. She tried so hard to put a smile on my face and she didn't show any signs of disappointment. I'm proud of her, really. 

As I arrived home, I was near to the peak of my tiredness. A day at work mixed with hours of anxiety got me weak at my knees, but I was reminded to write an e-mail to Dato', the chairman of my previous college.

That night, I slept late. I tried to think of where I could find his e-mail address. Then I suddenly remembered that he did state his e-mail address at his Facebook profile. I did add him and he did approve me. I tried to check it again. It's still there! That's my first accomplishment in my journey of making an appeal. 

At 1 a.m., I began writing a long e-mail to Dato', explaining why the appeal I was making should be approved and why I think I'm eligible for it. *I'll always keep that e-mail I sent in my account lol* :P I typed out Dato's e-mail into the recipient's box and clicked on "SEND" with a whole-hearted Bismillah, together with my mum. My task that night was complete.

The next day, I had my day off. I settled everything regarding my appeal and prayed for the best.